Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Learning to Catch a Tigger

How do you catch a tiger? I don't know, but I'm learning how to motivate people and that's an improvement towards the question. I catch a tiger by knowing someone who can catch a tiger, so they can at least tell me how. When people call in at work and ask "can you answer my questions?" I always answer, "yep and if I can't, I know someone who can!" and that's seems to satisfy them. I've decided its not about knowing everything, but about your ability to use you resources. Anyone can use google, but can you use google good? Can you use lexus-nexus and actually find something useful? How about the library catalog? Or even finding your own stuff hidden in your own black hole? What's the use of having so much information and never being able to find it, organize it and use it? Ever heard of the deep web? Go google it or wikipedia it. and nouns become verbs and verbs become nouns. Crazy language. Sometimes I think language is the barrier between finding the right thing and having millions of things. Google "stuff" 591 MILLION in about .15 seconds. Yeah, see? How am I going to find anything if everything is labeled "stuff" or "things" or "that one" Let's be precise. Tell me exactly how to catch a tiger, and its possible. Tell me to take that thing and point it over there and suddenly I'm shooting at myself.

I've started my presidential candidate review... but no peaking until it's done. It's gonna be a hoot. I'm trying not to focus on McCain & Hillary too much. Look for it. It's a creative and wonderfully funny review. (in 2004, it won awards)

No comments: