Monday, January 8, 2007

Semester: Day 1 Graduation: 12 weeks left

First day of school.

I surprised even myself and bought a book today.

No longer nervous or excited. Major senoritis has set in. All that wore off 2 years ago. The sluggish 4th year of college passes another milestone and part of me wants to jump and scream and the other part knows, that its only the start of the worst half, and so I yawn and listen to yet another professor who thinks he's going to change the lives of students tell me about his grading procedure as I systematically figure out how little work I can do and still get an A. I can miss 4 questions per test, 1 quiz and write one terrible paper. It's all about getting the grade, maybe learning something that will help me later, really knowing that all my grad school deadline will be passed before the semester is up and job applications will only look at my overall GPA. Just don't screw up big time.

One professor asked a class full of seniors why we were so serious. No one answered. We're not serious, just tired and bored of the same cracks and that dry obscure sense of humor that seems to follow those academic professors. So, we laugh at his jokes. Why are we so serious?

No comments: